Compliments of Bob Weiner, your County Councilman
Council District 2, New Castle County, DE
Louis Hinkle, aide to Councilman Weiner: 302-395-8362
New Castle County Council Land Use Committee Meeting Notice
Concord Plaza Project Summary
NEW CASTLE COUNTY COUNCIL LAND USE COMMITTEE MEETING
Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:00 P.M. City County Building 800 N. French Street
8th Floor Conference Room
Dear community leaders and friends,
Please share this important information with your neighbors and friends.
I am notifying you of your opportunity to attend and speak at the May 6 County Council Land Use Committee meeting to discuss questions and concerns surrounding the redevelopment of the Concord Plaza. Below is a summary of the Concord Plaza project recently provided by the applicant’s attorney, Larry Tarabicos.
“The Buccini-Pollin Group intends to partially redevelop the Concord Plaza office complex on Silverside Road into a fully-integrated, pedestrian friendly, diverse, and contemporary mixed-use village. The Plan would convert approximately 185,000 square feet of existing, decades-old office space into: (1) 341 apartments; (2) 37,578 square feet of retail space; and (3) a state-of-the-art 60,000 square foot signature office building. The overall project involves demolishing eight of the existing buildings and replacing them with luxury apartments, including numerous amenities for the residents, atop specialty retail, restaurants, cafes. Approximately 359,500 square feet of existing office buildings will remain, and the property will retain its Office Regional (OR) zoning category, as the proposed partial redevelopment is consistent with the existing zoning. Between the many amenities, services, and pedestrian enhancements, the project represents a very positive change for the residents and employees of this community.”
Please note that County Council may consider and vote upon this Major Record Plan as soon as our December 13 County Council Business Meeting, if all the application is deemed ready to proceed by our County Land Use Department.
Alternatively, it is anticipated that the Concord Plaza Major Record Plan will be considered and voted upon by New Castle County Council at our regular Business Meeting on the evening of January 10, 2017.
It is also important to note that this plan is a “MAJOR RECORD PLAN” and not a rezoning. There is a major difference between a major record plan and a rezoning with a major record plan. If a major plan is in general compliance with the standards of the Unified Development Code, those plans may advance to the Planning Board public hearing. A major record plan submission will afford public comment along the application process. However, if the plan is code compliant, then Council is required by code to provide approval of the plan. (UDC 40.31.100)
For major plans with rezonings where the Department finds the exploratory plan to be in general compliance with the standards of the UDC, those plans may advance to the Planning Board public hearing process and then to Council for hearing before the Land Use Committee and then the Regular meeting of Council. Council can reject the plan with due cause. (UDC 40.31.114.G)
- D. Council consent.
- For major plans, the record plan shall be forwarded to County Council for its consent. Upon receipt of the plan, County Council shall schedule the matter for its next public hearing, and may take one (1) of the following actions:
- Adopt a resolution approving the record major plan; or
- Table and refer the plan back to the Department, no more than twice, with specific questions relating to technical compliance with this Chapter, State or federal constitutional requirements or any other statute or ordinance for which compliance is required. Upon receipt of a Department recommendation reaffirming approval of the plan, County Council shall adopt the resolution of approval, unless a second referral is made because of additional questions or concerns. Upon receipt of the Department’s recommendation reaffirming approval of the plan after review of any additional concerns raised by County Council, Council shall adopt the resolution of approval.
- County Council may use any one (1) or more of the above options subject to the limitations contained in each subparagraph.
- Action upon receipt of County Council referral. Upon receipt of specific questions from County Council, the Department shall respond with its findings and a recommendation. The recommendation shall be one (1) of the following:
- That the plan be approved, in which case County Council shall adopt the resolution of plan approval at its next scheduled meeting unless a second referral is made, in which case Council shall adopt the resolution of plan approval at its next scheduled meeting following the second approval.
- That the Department has rescinded its previous approval of the plan for noncompliance, in which case County Council shall withdraw the resolution of planapproval. (Ord. No. 09-066, § 18, 10-13-2009; Ord. No. 10-113, § 1(Exh. A), 1-18-2011)
Below is a short description of the project found on the New Castle County website at: http://www3.nccde.org/project/details/default.aspx?ProjectKey=530976
Project # 20150715 – Concord Office Plaza
|Project Type:||SUBDIVISION LAND DEVELOPMENT|
|Description:||PLAN OF CONCORD PLAZA: BRANDYWINE HUNDRED; NORTH SIDE OF SILVERSIDE ROAD, 3,350 FEET EAST OF ROUTE 202 (CONCORD PIKE); MAJOR LAND DEVELOPMENT PLAN THAT PROPOSES TO DEMOLISH A PORTION OF AN EXISTING OFFICE PARK SO AS TO CONSTRUCT A MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT CONSISTING OF 460,595 SQUARE FEET OF NON-RESIDENTIAL (OFFICE/RETAIL) GFA AND 390,476 SQUARE FEET OF RESIDENTIAL (341 APARTMENTS) GFA; OR ZONING. Council District 2|
|Contact:||BPG OFFICE III LLC|
|Plan Reviewer:||MARCO K. BOYCE|
|Engineering Reviewer:||JOHN GYSLING|
Department of Land Use Web Pages file documents for the project – click here– http://www3.nccde.org/project/details/default.aspx?ProjectKey=530976
Traffic Impact Study Review Letter of Scoping Meeting 01-14-2016 – click here – http://www3.nccde.org/PDFDocument/default.aspx?DocumentID=80:5538A80CA926BC49834398A8F3E7191F81E7F6B1E9E8FA058FA2FE0D6F6E3BFE4118246CAABD0145&x=temp.pdf
PLUS Report of 02-23-2016- click here – http://www3.nccde.org/PDFDocument/default.aspx?DocumentID=80:5538A80CA926BC49834398A8F3E7191F81E7F6B1E9E8FA05F1D676C7CA638143FE71A9AF9F1729FE&x=temp.pdf
Information on all applications is available for public review in the Land Use Department, New Castle County Government Center, 87 Reads Way, Corporate Commons, New Castle, DE, from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. 302-395-5510. Alternatively, you can obtain more information by contacting my office at firstname.lastname@example.org , at email@example.com